Learn how to use Puppet Enterprise to automate your infrastructure. Review the list of resources in this order.
- Learning videos
- Puppet code
- Version control
- Forge modules
- Roles and profiles
- Additional resources
Version and installation
PE Version: All supported versions
1. Learning videos
Watch these videos to learn concepts, patterns, and practices that will help you succeed in automating your infrastructure.
- Introduction to Puppet Enterprise webinar
- DevOps workflows in the Windows ecosystem
- Learn how Puppet Enterprise and vRealize Automation (vRA) integrate
2. Puppet code
Download the Learning VM and work through each quest. Each quest takes an hour or two to complete. You will learn how to:
- Automate with Puppet.
- Install an agent on a new system
- Use the Puppet resource tool to explore the state of that system.
Take the Puppet practice labs. You’ll learn how to use Puppet products right in the browser — no downloads required.
3. Version control
Version control is critical when managing your Puppet code and collaborating with others. Use it to track your changes.
Learn Git with our list of Git learning materials.
4. Forge modules
The Forge has thousands of reusable modules created by Puppet, our partners, and our community. The most commonly used modules manage NTP and Windows services. Except for
puppet-windows_env, the following modules are Puppet supported.
Learn more about using Windows modules from our documentation.
Learn how to manage the data that you provide to your modules using Hiera.
6. Roles and profiles
Build and assign reusable modules to node groups using the roles and profiles method. This example demonstrates a complete workflow.
7. Additional resources
You can learn:
- More about practice labs, courses, and Puppet language basics.
- How to achieve common business outcomes in Puppet with tackle boxes.